'select' is the selector (:D) for the 'select' element, jQuery uses
CSS selector syntax:

  <select id="dropdownstuff">
    <option value="good">Good</option>
    <option value="bad">Bad</option>
    <option value="ugly">Ugly</option>
  </select>

$('#dropdownstuff').val(value);
or
$('#parent select').val(value);
or
$('#parent > select').val(value);

all do the same.

now, a different issue is that you're using ajax to load data. You
need to execute this function only after the data has been loaded,
passing a callback function:

$('#blah').load('http://options.com',function(){
    $('#blah select').val(value);
});

doing one after the other won't work, the val() function will run
before the ajax load is finished.

cheers
- ricardo