Ricardo.  Thanks very much!

I'll need to give this some thought then.  The timing is an issue (I
kind of thought it would be given the asynchronous nature of Ajax.
Digging deeper, I realize that I am using a combo.js (selectCombo)
that was written by Shelane Enos.  I need to do some examination of
that code.  Perhaps it can be modified to so handle a passed "selected
value" so that the value shows selected when the combo is rendered.
It may do that already.

Thanks again. I learned quite a bit!

Pete