So far the recommended approach can be seen in this demo:
http://jquery.bassistance.de/validate/demo/multipart/

I'm working on a different solution, which should be easier to use,
where you specify rules for all elements like you're used to, but also
specify which "subform" should be validated, ignoring everything else.

Jörn