"Personally, I don't prefer overriding
control ID's as they have to be unique"

Well, yeah, that would go without saying...   even the novice
programmer should have the skill to know when to use it and when not
to...

"The only downside is that you can not put your scripts in an external
(js) file"

I wouldn't understate how much of a big deal that can be....  as you
automatically lose browser caching of the javascript with it being on
the aspx page....

Whatever though, to each their own, there's many ways to use jQuery
around .NET's respective quirks and methodology