Just needing some pointers on jQuery string manipulation

I have a content management system
- in which I am applying experimental (jQuery) ajax functions - these
work OK - !

But ather than hack the CMS source code,
I want to create a function that replaces the standard hrefs that the
CMS generates
>> with javascript functions, which are triggered on Ajax success event

basically here are the translation requirements:

TRANSLATE
FROM
<a rel="paginate" href="index.php?aid=1-2">content</a>

guessing it is a matter of getting the hrefs, based on rel="paginate"
as a selector;
then replacing with the javascript string, where the key variable is
aid, ie "1-2" in this case...

I have tried getting this to work, but am having problems
so wanted to ask if any more experience jQuery programmers might
provide pointers

thanks is advance.