First sorry for the errors in my example.  Braces was a typo.  Div
with name attribute was an error also.  My real issue is with a select
tag.

Anyway...while creating a sample page I have found that the problem is
different than I thought.  It seems the problem is that jQuery cannot
find elements having an ID with dots in it.  For example $
('#Foo.Bar')  will not select <div id="Foo.Bar">

Is this by design?  An issue with JS itself?

NOTE: I am using jQuery with MS MVC, which has HTML helpers that
create tags with IDs with dots in them.  WebForms replaces dot with
underscores, so I wonder if JS itself has issues with IDs with dots?