" It seems the problem is that jQuery cannot
find elements having an ID with dots in it"

It can, but you need to read the documentation on how to get around
jQuery thinking the dot means "has CSS class of"

http://docs.jquery.com/Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_do_I_select_an_element_that_has_weird_characters_in_its_ID.3F