Hi,
Just had a look at your site - very nice.
I see the text is fading in and out in synch with the images. You can
control the text independently using the callbacks.
Try this:
$('#slideshow').cycle({
        before: onBefore,
        after: onAfter
});

function onBefore() {
    $('p').hide();
}
function onAfter() {
    $('p').css({opacity: '0.5'}).slideDown('slow');
}

This hides the text before the image fades, and then slides the text
in after the new image shows.
You can also apply CSS to the <p> element to position it on top of the
image.

Paul