Okay...

I figured out why it's not working. My code is firing before the
images are fully loaded, therefore the width of the image is zero
until the browser downloads the image.

I installed a click event on each image which reported the actual
width correctly.

So, how might I only run this code AFTER the images have loaded?

$('img').each(function(){
   alert(this.offsetWidth>500);
});

Alternately, is there a way to test to see if the image is broken
using jQuery?