I've used your code like this (maybe it's not the right way);

                <script type='text/javascript'>
                $(document).ready(function(){
                        var $tabs = $('#staff-tab > ul').tabs({
                            select: function(e, ui) {
                                if (ui.index === $tabs.data('selected.tabs')) {
                                    $tabs.tabs('load', ui.index);
                </script>
but nothing seems to happen (using firebug I don't see any anything
and no errors) when I click on the selected tab. The tabs work as
before. I'm using ui.jquery (themeroller).

Ger