I was looking for a similar set-up and went with the Dave Malup's
cycle plug-in as it handles the paging.
Should be easier to add next/prev arrows to that plugin rather than
add paging to a carousel.

http://malsup.com/jquery/cycle/

I didn't need back/forward, so I haven't needed to build that in, but
the plugin has a next and prev function.