I like all your suggestions, but none seemed to help. Two things to
note:

1) When I run the code in my OP (with your changes), it works fine in
FF and Opera, but IE doesn't even seem to recognize it at all. It does
nothing, no alerts nothing. Almost like javascript was disabled (which
it isn't, I checked, see below). Is there something wrong with my code/
markup?

2) When I run the code in my real web page, it does run in IE but not
perfectly. All the param settings works fine. The Object settings work
for the codebase attribute, but the other two (id, classid) don't get
set (they are blank in my alert and the object won't work properly).

Any other ideas or thoughts?  Like I said, I'm new to jquery (and love
what I've seen so far) but this if frustrating!

Thanks!