i think personally that indeed a callback onError, that is called when
the input loses focus would be great. from thereon, the user can
defines what to do. for instance, as a UI developer, i would add a
"error" class to the wrapping div,  and add "Incomplete data" message
to the right of the input. But another would go as far as
alert("missing data you moron !!")  . At least my desk neighbour
would, he's so uneducated :)