Something tells me jQuery is acting up in some way that means the class is
never applied, like an event never completes successfully. It's just very
strange it doesn't work, especially since the test3.html link code does
work, and I don't think I did anything to make the code interpret
differently.

But you are right, it is when the object is a jQuery object instead of an
element object.