What you ask is not going to be possible....  first and foremost you
are overlooking the fact that you are going to lose focus (and
therefore your selection and cursor position) when you click on the
autocomplete's <div> of available selections

do something like Jorn suggests, and with some well placed and well
used CSS you can make it "appear" as one big textarea, even though it