See also http://couchdb.apache.org/docs/intro.html

"
What CouchDB is
  * A document database server, accessible via a RESTful JSON API.
  * Ad-hoc and schema-free with a flat address space.
  * Distributed, featuring robust, incremental replication with
bi-directional conflict detection and management.
  * Query-able and index-able, featuring a table oriented reporting engine
that uses Javascript as a query language.

What it is Not
  * A relational database.
  * A replacement for relational databases.
  * An object-oriented database. Or more specifically, meant to function as
a seamless persistence layer for an OO programming language.
"

- Richard