Also worth a read:

CouchDB Expectations
http://www.davispj.com/posts/10

"
The most important part of this entire post is the following statement: The
only time when CouchDB should be considered as a replacement for an RDBMS is
when an RDBMS was the wrong choice in the first place.

Just as CouchDB is not always the right tool for the job, RDBMS's are also
not always the right answer. Now, to be clear, my financial and medical
institutions better damn well be using some sort of RDBMS that has all of
those fancy features. My blog on the other hand (if it weren't static) does
not require materialized views or pivot tables.

"
- Richard