I have a table where each td has its width declared in css rules.
Inside some "td" i have either "p" or "div"
I want to have these elements inherit the width of the parent td.
I have a sample here -
http://www.roxstyle.com/projects/blssi/cms/user-tools-v1/user-search.html
if you click on the "user" search, you will get a results table and
several of the td have got purposely long (non-spaced text)
the tds have a width within css, but the div does not inherit that. If
i give the div the pixel width, with overflow:hidden - i get the
results i want -the table structure stays in place and the extra text
is hidden
i would like to make a function that would globally give the css width
of each td to its children

im trying things like:
$(document).ready(function(){
    var d = (".tbl tbody td div");
    var d_p = $("d").parent('td');
    function inheritWidth() {
        $("d").width(d_p.innerWidth());

i know my knowledge of js is basic. Is there any tutorial, or a sample
on the jquery site that is similar to this functionality i am looking
for?