I like to implement all my validation logic server side and to make it more
userfriendly I like to ajax my forms and send the validation errors back as
json.

I know this might not be the prefered method for some but it means you only
have to write your validation code in one language. (because as Will
mentioned you absolutley must do server side validation)

It also means you can validate things like usernames and email properly, eg
they have to be unique so you can check the database :).

Cheers,
Cam