I'm thinking now that I'll use jQuery validation methods from the
start which can make the form more interactive and interesting.  If
the form validates within jQuery then I'll pass it to my php
validation method.  In this case, I'll use to php to re-validate the
form under stricter criteria and employ a "honeypot" in php, an
invisible field that usually only a bot would fill out.

Why wouldn't just use php validation, though, and echo some jQuery
from within my php?  I suppose the answer would be that using only
jQuery validation form start will be much faster and more "fun".  Once
the form validates and is ready to submit it's passed along to the php
validation which is a bit slower but is secure.