I currently have a problem with the site I am designing, I'm using jQuery to
load the content via AJAX, however. The script I'm using to watch for when
the user clicks a link is:

function watchLinks()
  {
    $("a").click(function()
    {
      var youWantToGoTo =
$(this).attr('href').substr(0,$(this).attr('href').length-4); // Determine
destination
      openPage(youWantToGoTo); // Open destination
      window.location.hash = youWantToGoTo; // Set the url #
      return false;
    });
  };

currently I call the function on the $(document).ready but this means that I
cannot watch the links that are loaded dynamically.

eg when the users loads the 'portfolio' page the watchLinks() function isn't
active for the links which were loaded.

I have tried setting watchLinks() as the callback but when the user quickly
switches between pages the javascript seems to slow down to a snails pace
and pages don't load for a fairly long period of time.

Is there a more efficient method?

http://le.lsdon.com/concept07.htm Here's the site  if I didn't provide
enough info.