I have just spent about 5 minutes trying to select elements without
"." and also tried to select classes with different capitalization.

None could be selected... Works just fine, as it should be!!! I am
getting my jquery from:
http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.3/jquery.min.js

----
Read jQuery HowTo Resource  -  http://jquery-howto.blogspot.com