Bump.  Same problem here.  The ajax reponse will come back within a
few hundred ms in firebug but doesn't show up on the page until many
seconds later.  If there are any kind souls out there who know what's
up, please give a holler.  My site (where this is currently occurring)
is at tev.educationvacation.org.  Thanks!