I need to bump this.  I'm getting the exact same problem.  Using
jQuery 1.3 and the load() function.

Firebug will show the full response within a couple hundred
milliseconds, but the browser will not display the response for at
least three more seconds.  I'm really not sure what's going on.  I'll
be working on this one.  If any kind soul would like to lend a hand,
you can view the site at http://tev.educationvacation.org.  Thanks!