I need some help here guys.
I'm trying to modify the content-type and accept-charset request
headers of an ajax call and it seems that beforeSend does not really
change the XHR object.

My code is something like this:
                beforeSend : function(xhr) {
                        xhr.setRequestHeader('Accept-Charset','windows-1253');

xhr.setRequestHeader('Content-type','application/x-www-form-
urlencoded;charset=windows-1253')
                }

I need the charset to be windows-1253 and not UTF-8, as the database
and everything in between (server side scripts) are encoded with
windows-1253.

My html page has the correct charset specified:
charset=windows-1253" />
charset=windows-1253" />

If I submit the form without ajax, the charset is ok and my data is
saved correctly. Otherwise non-latin characters are replaced with
weird characters. From what I understand, changing the charset &
encoding to UTF-8 is currently not an option.

Any suggestions? Is this a jquery bug or I'm I doing something wrong?