@Mike
Thanks.  But it should have been working with the default code since
dropdown 2 was working - dropdown 3 used the exact same principle.
There is definitely something going on different between FF and IE.

Question - Could the existence of single quotes within the JSON data
throw off JQuery?  example: If one of the cities is "O'Brien"....

I ask because I have now put up a refined page with the two methods
and I have used a smaller version of the data file and guess what?  It
now works.  So this leads me to believe the JSON data itself may have
been causing a problem with IE only (Firefox always worked).

http://jamestilberg.com/jquery/

The thing is, I had already validated the JSON data with several
different online JSON validators....

I guess I need to build the JSON file back up and see if something
specific stumps JQuery...