Update2:

The problematic page is still up as promised for discussion purposes,
but I have a breakthrough to report.

I never would have suspected this in a million years, but I discovered
it after following through with my same line of logic regarding the
JSON data causing a problem.

I eliminated single quotes and commas from the equation as these
worked just fine.  However, I thought I would try other characters
since I noticed that accented characters were showing up strangely in
the dropdown list (see under Quebec - Gaspé, for an example).  Where
it should say "GASPĂ©", it instead shows "GASP(question mark inside a
diamond)".  Firefox displays this, IE doesn't display anything but the

I can fix this by replacing all accented characters in my data with
regular alphabet characters, but the question is - why is this causing
a problem with the JQuery/IE combination?

I would much rather leave accented characters intact.  Something in
the JQuery routines can't handle these characters and/or is replacing
them with a strange character.

Any ideas?