> I'd try to avoid writing a routine explicitly for each image and
> instead use a loop. This is thoroughly untested.

Thanks a ton Brian for the help with that code, I had no idea you
could load an array like that! The loops were helpful as well, I used
the "each" loop on the image object array to make Karl's error handler
suggestion work very easily.

The only problem though is putting the load function in a loop.
Logically, it would seem to work, however in both methods you
suggested, I got a parse error near the end of the loop. I took out
the load function and the loop works fine. So I'm not sure if there's
a workaround or not. Eventually, we're going to put a PHP backend on
this site for managing the photos, I think we could just print each
load event via a PHP loop if I can't make it work with jQuery.

> Nice pics. In FF3.0.5 (linux) when I click a thumbnail, the main image
> fades out (could be a tad faster), fades back in, then abruptly
> switches to the new image. I had a look at the gallery script but
> couldn't figure out where the problem lies. My gut tells me that could
> be optimised, too. But, one can't really say for sure without
> understanding everything that's being done and I really should stop
> procrastinating ;-)

I need to clean up, organize and comment that gallery script a little
bit more :-! But yeah, I've been struggling with that problem for
months. It's only a problem in Firefox, and it only affects *certain*
firefox users. There's no delay on my client's firefox, or on my
mother's machine either. I can see it on my machine though, and it's
still there in FF 3.1 :( I wish I could nail down what's causing the
problem.