Alrighty.  First and foremost color me embarrassed, but I wasn't aware
that the actual source wasn't manipulated.  For instance, if I click
on the browsers' VIEW SOURCE, it maintains the original.  However, if
I view the OBJECT via the CONSOLE of either Firebug, or view the HTML
via the CONSOLE in Safari then I see the changes.

Is this something I should have picked up in Javascript 101?  Do
browsers always maintain the original source?  And more important,
where would I have found this bit of information?  What, exactly, is
the most efficient workflow for testing items of this nature?