I think your naming should be fine.because i sometimes use these kind of
naming to populate my list on the server side, I use Struts 2.

I ran into a problem similar to yours recently while doing an Ajax example
for my friend.

What i did was just like seasoup suggested.
you might want to try

$("li:has(:hidden[name^=Theme]).each(function(i){
   var subject = $(":hidden[name$=Subject]", this).val();
   //...etc for each input
   //then reorganize your index in the name of the fields
  // maybe create a new html then insert back into the li
})

my selector may not be the best, just so that hopefully you get get concept