My knowledge of the ajax functions of jquery are rather limited to be honest, I deal with the frontend aspects mainly. I don't know if this would work, I assume it would. There are a few regulars on this list who could help you with this a lot better then I can.

$.ajax({
   type: "GET",
   url: "some.php",
   data: "name=John&location=Boston",
   success: function(msg){
       alert( "Success" );
   }
error: function(emsg){
                             if(xhr.status==200) {
                                    alert("custom message");
                             }
                             else if(xhr.status==500) {
                                    alert("custom message");
                             }
                             else if(xhr.status==501) {
                                    alert("custom message");
                             }
                             else if(xhr.status==404) {
                                    alert("custom message");

Jack Mack wrote:
Ok, but what would the statusText print out ? And is there any way I can customise the message ?