I posted about this before, but the response didn't help - so I
thought I'd try posting again.

I have a function that's putting together a GET request and sending it
off with $.getScript to retrieve an XML file.  When I get the response
back, Javascript throws an exception: missing ; before statement.  I
take that to mean that jQuery is handling the XML like a Javascript
file.  But the response is there!  I can't get this to work with $.get
- it just hasn't worked.  So what I'm wondering is if I can work
around this exception, or find some other way to get at the response.
Here's my code:

if(hasError == false) {
                                $('#login').hide('slow');
                                var getURL = "http://***.com/app/xml.pl?Email=";
+ emailVal +
"&Password=" + passVal;
                                try {
                                        $.getScript(getURL, function(xml){
                                                getXML(xml);
                                catch (e){
                                        console.log(e);

If someone can explain how I can get $.get to work, I'd take that as a
positive step, too.