> I ran into this myself a couple of times. The jQuery framework leaves
> much to be desired in this arena and there is considerable lack of
> proper OO inheritance from what I am aware of (I have only been on
> jQuery for 2-3 weeks). I recently tried to extend the ui.spinner

JavaScript is no different than any other language - you can't
override things that are private.  jQuery proper actually exposes
nearly everything for you to override and also has many explicit
extension points (fn, easing, speed, etc).  Plugins often don't offer
the same extensibility, but that has nothing to do with jQuery's
design.