I have a drop down that is being generated via load() - to be 100%
clear, I'll restate that. The drop down does not exist on the actual
page.  I'm doing this:

        $('#orderlineform #productlisting').load('orderProxy.cfm',
                {
                         mode:'getAvailableProducts'
                        ,ordergrade_id:ordergrade_id
                        ,order_id:order_id
                }
        );

This is generating the drop down for me and putting it inside the
#produclisting span for me. Now, just attaching a 'change' event on it
wasn't working, so I looked into livequery() (eventually live() ) --
using it works just fine in FireFox, but fails in IE.

$('#orderlineform #product_id').live('change',isRentalActive);
-----
function isRentalActive(){
        var data = $("#orderlineform #product_id option:selected").metadata
({type:'attr',name:'data'});
        alert(data);
        return false;
        if(data.return_flag == 0){
                $('.rental').css("display", "table-row-group").show();
        }else{
                $('.rental').hide();

Any suggestions as to why this is failing in IE?

Thanks,
~Todd