I simplified my code and remove $("a) code too..

function updateNav(param) {
        $.ajax({
                type: "POST",
                cache: false,
                url: "assets/ajax/updatenav.php",
                data: "opt="+param,
                success: function(d){
                        $("#nav").html(d);

and...

<ul id="nav">
        <li class="disabled">HOME</li>
        <li class="active"><a href="javascript:updateNav('menu');"
class="menu">MENU</a></li>
        <li class="active"><a href="javascript:updateNav('catering');"
class="catering">CATERING</a></li>
        <li class="active"><a href="javascript:updateNav('contact');"
class="contact">CONTACT</a></li>
</ul>

... and that worked.  So how can I use jQuery to repeat my ajax call
(s)?