Yeah, like what he is suggesting is to return a boolean value....   so
now if someone wants the position of the item, it would be a whole
separate function to do so....

to me, one single function and checking the value is more "intuitive",
maybe if it was named something more inline with what it returns (like
for instance, "indexOf") makes more sense, but none the less the
function kills two birds with one stone