The add table row is being added with:

New</a></p>

No, your code does not work for me. It's exactly the same as the code
I've been trying since last night, so no offense -- why would it
work? ;)

My problem here is that the id is not changing -- if you read what I
wrote, I mentioned that I can see in the generated source that it is
not changing. That's all that I need. Once that happens, the sortable
stuff should work as well.