Hi Andrea,

 I have updated my local version of the plugin to support the behavior
that we both want.
In the unminified version 1.02 of the autocomplete plugin, change line
165
from:
                if ( hasFocus++ > 1 && !select.visible() ) {
to:
                if ( hasFocus++ > 0 && !select.visible() ) {

In my test on Firefox 3.x and iPhone safari, it worked fine. When you
single click into the field, your complete drop down list will now
show up, and autocomplete works correctly.

Hope this helps,

Ed