I have this example too. I have the data loaded, and onShow will
trigger an alert if I put one in, but the close button still does not
work:

$("#button-sales").click(function(event) {

$("#modalContentInstSales").load("includes/institutional-
sales.html");

                        $('#modalContentInstSales').modal({
                                onClose: modalClose,
                                onOpen: modalOpen,