"There may be a bit of Apples and Oranges here"

For sure.. that link is doing a full blown form post to the server
(just pull up Firebug's "Net" panel to see)......  i wouldn't compare
anything the two do between each other

I've been using tablesorter for a good year now, and i do everything i
can to keep the row count under control, when i can't, i simply use
the server to sort