Okay, my bad here.

Thanks to the one-on-one help of one of the great members here, I was able
to find the problem.

It wasn't the software, it was the hardware.

There was something odd going on with the development PC I was using to run
the test.  Not only was my sort running very slow, so were the tests on
http://tablesorter.com/docs/example-triggers.html tablesorter.com .  When I
switched to another machine, the sorts were damned near sub-second.

Low-and-behold, I reboot the development machine and now it too sorts
quickly.

Stupid.  Stupid.  Stupid.

Sorry to waste your time.

    - Bryan