I forgot to mention, all this is live.  No refresh (like Flash alone) and
most of the time, not noticeable unless you have a huge drop in bandwidth
all of a sudden.

-----Original Message-----
From: jquery-en@googlegroups.com [mailto:jquery...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Jordon Bedwell
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:42 AM
To: jquery-en@googlegroups.com
Subject: [jQuery] Re: jQuery SL - jQuery Silverlight Plugin Feedback

You confuse the Silverlight project completely. It's not just a player.
It's really actually truly a server. Kind of like Flash Media Server but way
more advanced, they are 10 different leagues apart.  Check out
http://www.streamflashhd.com/ which is an Adobe/Akamai project demonstrating
using Silverlight with Flash. I don't know who in their right mind would
even consider using Java for Video.  If you are going to do that, you might
as well download the HD video to your computer...  Silverlight is really a
server, it's capabilities include downgrading live streams based on your
bandwidth.  It's used by some of the biggest companies, and word around is
Hulu will soon switch to a Flash/Silverlight setup.

Example: If you are at 10MBPS when you first tap the video and then all of a
sudden you drop to 1MBPS bandwidth, it will downgrade the video, and upgrade
the video if you gain more available bandwidth, creating a constant smooth
stream.  Flash alone does not have this capability because it is downloading
the video just as if you were downloading it yourself.  Flash with
silverlight though, it gains this ability.