There really is no such thing, since each HTTP request is generally
stateless without any relations between each call. Without using
cookies and through the URL (GET method), the other only common way is
through the POST method. That would mean every page change requires
some kind of form submission with POST data, which is very hackish and
not recommended.

This all depends on what your application is doing. The recommended
method is to create a session id for the user, use cookies to store
that id if available, and if not, pass that id along the url.

I think I've read of another hackish method of being able to set a
window name via the DOM to pass info, but I don't have any specifics
on it and whether it works on all browsers or not.