> If you want to format a local date, . . .
>
> var todayEl = document.getElementById("today");
> todayEl.innerHTML = formatDate(new Date); // [1]

> [1]http://www.jibbering.com/faq/#formatDate

This also worked, but produced a format very different from that
required by the context in which the date must appear.  Then too, the
code of the formatDate( ) function requires more knowledge of
JavaScript than I currently possess.  This said, there are certainly
other contexts where I can make good use of both the formatDate( )
function and the innerHTML method.

In the end, thank you for your input.  Even though it did not address
my question directly, it has expanded my knowledge of JavaScript

Roddy