As I said before: it's a string until it's eval'd, which happens with
the 'json' response type within jQuery, or as I said you can eval the
response text yourself. At that point it is JavaScript, and it's an
object whose members you can access with dot or bracket notation and
that you can iterate over. The OP was indicating that he needed to
remove the quotes
"there are quotes on the object side of the json
where there should be no quotes"

There is no 'object side', there are just name-value pairs within the
object. The names are strings, strings should be quoted according to
the RFC which was written by Doug Crockford. As I indicated, you can
leave the quotes or remove them, as you choose, but was trying to make
it clear to the OP that that was not where the problem was occuring
(and correct bad terminology such as 'object side' in much the same
way Garrett pointed out there's no such thing as "String Brackets").