I must be missing something obvious, but it sounds like you're not just
working with some predetermined HTML, but you have the flexibility to tweak
that HTML code, is that right?

Then why can't you generate this as part of your HTML page:

    <script type="text/javascript">
        // initialize some variables here
    </script>

That *is* HTML code, isn't it?