> I'm working to pass a parameter (for codes like code39) called "digit
> width" so 123 coded is half size of 456987.

The digit width sounds exactly like what I'm talking about.

Digits "123456789" bar coded in a container of 60x100 pixels look very
different than in a container of 150x100 pixels (see example posted at
http://betweenbrain.com/lab/barcode/comparison.html). It seems like
the bar codes generated from strings with more characters should be
wider then those with less characters. In either case, in theory, the
density or number of lines per inch should be the same.This is merely
theory only based on quick tests.

Keep up the good work. This is cool.

Matt