The fadeIn effect not working has nothing to do with the order your
functions are executed. Try executing a simple fadeOut in any element
of the page after it has loaded, it's not working either. My bet is
that jQuery and some of the other (many) scripts are colliding, since
the '$' object is being overwritten. Your page also seems to be
triggering quirks mode in the browser.