you can customise a button as much as you like using a single image
setup.

join the two buttons together (like below) with the element they're
displayed in sized to only show a single button, and modify the
background position on :hover with css.
 ________
^      ^
show

alternatively use an alpha transparent image, and modify the
background-color of the element on hover if you just want a colour
change.

there are loads of different ways of doing it without requiring you to
modify the src attrib of an image onmouseover. ;)