I am using the jQuery autocomplete plugin (http://bassistance.de/
jquery-plugins/jquery-plugin-autocomplete) it works fine and has me
made a happier person as a whole.

I am using the plugin in "remote-mode" meaning that I fetch a
seperated list from my server. The problem now is that this server
uses basic authentication and whenever I start typing I get prompted
for the username and password, which is quite annoying.

The jQuery Form Plugin for example allows to send username and
password for authentication, which are in fact plain $.ajax
parameters. Is such a method possible for the autocomplete plugin as
well or how could I possibly work around this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!